Saturday, February 4, 2012

The most important thing in the world

Appa and I were talking today, about the telecommunications industry, the 2G spectrum scam, the economics of the whole thing and about culpability. Big, important, very cool sounding stuff. He was doing most of the talking, because I know very little. I was listening intently. And beside us, a little dog was getting very very impatient. 
He began by chasing his own tail round and round and round, till he was a black and white blur. I did my best not to watch him and focus on appa instead. 
When he tired of that game, he trotted up to us and barked, shrill little barks. Even without a language, he communicates very well. I pushed him away. Optical fibres were being discussed. Then Panda escalated. He jumped up on me and began scraping at my arm. He does not respond well to being ignored. I finally caved and took him out. 
We stood outside in a patch of winter sunshine, with sparrows hopping about around us. It was then that I realised why it is that I love this little dog so much. He puts things into perspective, no? His demands are peremptory and insistent, and always make me laugh, so comical is his seriousness. The rest of the world could wait, while Panda chased the sparrows. 


2 comments:

  1. Blog Header reminds me of a film of the same name, starring Will Smith, except they spelled 'happiness' separately. But it was a pursuit nonetheless.

    Spontaneity always puts things into perspective. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anil, yes. I suppose the header was deliberate. I don't know about spontaneity though. Sometimes, it just feels escapist, no?

    ReplyDelete